Tuesday, February 15, 2011

240L setup - Day 5


This is the fifth day of the setup. On fourth day I did the water change (around 35%). I also did some trimming to the grasses and fixed some front plants which were still floating instead of attaching to the ground. The ammonium was already in 0.5 ppm range. After water change it came to 0.3 ppm. Actually I keep the water pH below 7, which lowers the toxicity of it for the fish (actually what is toxic is ammonia, which is created from ammonium in water with pH over 7). The nitrite and nitrate levels are still not traceable.


Plants are growing nicely, even with lack of nitrate around, I wait to have nitrate kicked in to see how this will boost it. I also already arranged new lightning for this aquarium which will double the amount of light to 160W. I notice small green algae buildup on Riccia. Actually it can be only found there. I plan to clear it a bit tomorrow and we will see what will happen later. I also introduced a 1 hour break in lightning cycle. It is supposed to break the growth cycle of algae, which requires 10h of sunlight. We will see how it will work out. I increased a bit CO2 intake to 2 bps.




The whole thing still looks healthy. I will possibly increase number of fish in the aquarium to speed up the cycling process as right now water condition is quite well.



Cheers,
Marcin

No comments:

Post a Comment