Sunday, February 13, 2011

240L setup - Day 3

The third day came with the surprise, rasboras started to spawn eggs under some leafs and on some equipment. The water starts having some amounts of ammonia in it, the nitrite is still not there not mention nitrate. But ammonia level is still low, so I plan to change 1/3 of water on Day 4 so should be enough to change water twice a week for now. Plants started to produce lot of oxygen but I have to start thinking about my lightning. What is suggested is that you should have around 0.5-1 Watts of lightning per liter (2-4W per gallon). In my case it is 0.3W per liter. When plants will get bigger I will have to change it. Microsorium is growing nicely, vivipara as well. Glossostigma has nice green color, so I hope it will go well during next two weeks.


I do not think that the eggs will actually hatch before all the eggs will be eaten by my fish, it is not the time yet for this to happen. We will see.

Due to the fact that fish are added, I also installed the air pomp, so that during night oxygen is added to the water. During day, plants provide oxygen by using CO2 and lightning. During night time, plants can consume back oxygen and are not producing any so additional source is required.  Right now lightning and CO2 is turned on at 9a.m.and turns off at 9p.m. (with stronger light, I would go maybe 1-2h less). The air pump is turned on between 10p.m. and 8 a.m. (of course, all of this is automatically controlled by two timers).

Cheers,
Marcin

No comments:

Post a Comment